- Location: Bedroom, 7:29 am, sunrise
- Date: 3/12/2017
- Song Title: Braid
- Artist: Porches
- Album: Pool
- Label: Domino Recording Company
- Duration: 3:27
- Source: iPhone, headphones for immersive experience
- Who I want to share this song with: Realistically, everyone
- How I discovered this song: My roommate, Donna – this is her favorite band
- Playlists to put on: Chill Meditative Jams?
“and it was as if I was watching it all through a videocamera. So shaky and blue, I’ve got a dark muscle too, pumping the same strange blood running through you.”
I woke up with this song stuck in my head so I felt the need to write about it. It’s interesting considering the lyric, “It gets so dark before the very powerful light comes down on me.” I’m thinking about the fact that it’s sunrise, but Aaron Maine could be talking about the lights on stage when he performs. He talks of being watched but also watching – he, himself, is an object to be viewed, a performer, but also a witness to the audience. The chorus (favorite lyric above) evokes surreal disconnection, and, at the same time, empathy.